Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Inactivity

I just can't seem to get moving.

We been back from our trip a week and a half now, so I ought to have some energy back to do something. I've been going to bed before midnight and rising at 7:30 or later in the morning. This morning the surfing moms are going out and I thought about going, but it meant that I had to have the kids up and out the door before 8am, the tide will be coming in quickly on a small beach, and the fog is cold and wet. I admire that there are moms going out with babies to surf this morning. They are hardcore! I like to think that I'm made of the same mettle. What has happened to me? Have I forgotten how fun it can be? Has the difficulty in going become so discouraging that I only briefly consider it? Has my physical and mental energy dropped so low that I can't do it? I don't even want to consider the fact that my age might have something to do with my inactivity. It's got to be that I'm not getting enough exercise. I'm going to start taking my vitamins.

From the opposite perspective, I have had two of the most lazy relaxing days with my kids this week. We layed around in our pajamas half the day playing with toys, making up little games and eating late breakfasts. Yesterday when the sun emerged from the fog we went outside to eat lunch on the deck and then the kids went down to play on the swingset. I sat for a while in the sun, letting it warm my body. Then I gathered them into the car and went to the farmer's market in Felton for some fresh fruit and shave ice.

In some ways I'm glad that things are moving slowly in Russia right now. When I see the frenzied pace at which Jen is having to rush around right now I'm relieved that I don't need to. At the same time though, I have a small nagging feeling inside that I ought to be doing something. I need to get ready... I ought to at least have a packing list. Last week I called our placement agency to remind them that we haven't signed our visa applications either and that we need to do that. (Our placement agency is holding our passports and visa applications in a file to submit as soon as there is news of a referral.) Jen may think her lists didn't save her, but I'm hoping they save me!

An interesting email came for us last week. Entitled "Referral Possibility", it was from our agency director. I didn't want to open it without Kevin viewing it at the same time too. I'm not expecting any referral news until September at the earliest, so this was an interesting surprise, but not a shock. When we opened it, it was for an infant boy with some health issues, and was sent to all the waiting prospective parents. I wasn't disappointed that it wasn't our specific referral... I was a bit relieved. At the same though, it was like a message to me saying "Get ready." So I'm trying to shake this inactivity. I'm trying to get some motivation back for the adoption. It's starting to become real when I read about Pineapple Princess.

Fun goal for the day: Take a walk or hike with the kids to get my blood moving.

Not so glamorous goals: Dust the house for the carpet cleaner coming tomorrow (yuck).
Cat litter boxes. (even yuckier)

(No wonder I'm not motivated to get moving! Ha!)

8 comments:

Maggie said...

This is how Midwest I am. When you said surfing moms I thought "Internet." Then I remembered that you surf for real. We don't get that on Lake Huron...

Deb said...

I hope you find that excitement and energy. I would think with your 2 young ones you would be going all the time.
I was wondering when you thought you would get a referral. Sept is just around the corner.

sandy said...

Well, September is wishful thinking on my part for a referral. Our agency said that we have a wait of approximately 8 months from the time we submitted our dossier... which pushes us out to January. There are 7 families ahead of us... at the rate of one infant girl referral per month that puts us out till January or February of next year.... but I can't believe that there will only be one girl referral per month. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that referrals increase in the fall.

6blessings said...

Sometime a little rest is good. Days where we hang out in jammies and play with the kids are the best memory building days. Life is too fast-paced for most of us. It's good that you can slow down a little.

Anonymous said...

Please take this time to enjoy relaxing in the sun. You will have your time to be harried, so enjoy it while it lasts.

I am so glad you are signing your visas now. Good idea!

Elle said...

I too was wondering how long it would be for you to get a referral.

I can't believe your passports are sitting at your agency office. Our are in a fire safe in our house and never come out unless we are crossing the border, going to Russia or need to make copies. And when it comes time for our Visas we always drive the passports and the applications up the the travel agent. I don't trust the mail system. the travel agent sends them back FedEx and we have gotten them both times. Of course for that 2 week period I am a nervous wreck.

Anonymous said...

Sandy,
In regards to you feeling antsy to keep doing something towards the adoption, and feeling lack of energy at home, the words "Be still, and KNOW that I am GOD" came to mind.

Carolina Mama said...

I just got to read more and put together your blog. Did you ever get the approval for two children? We hope to get ours. That could be a disappointment if we are requesting two. Your outdoorsy pictures are so gorgeous! We just love it! My husband is a Colorado native, so we appreciate it much! Not long til your referral - hopefully!