Friday, March 28, 2008

Vacation memories

The bandwidth here at the place where we are staying takes a nosedive as soon as the roosters start crowing and the coffee is brewing. I've figured out that I can't get my pictures uploaded with the low bandwidth - Blogger just doesn't like it - so I'll have to wait until we get home... it just ain't gonna happen late in the evening because after a full day in the sun and surf I'm done.

We returned to Poipu Beach on Kauai for spring break. We were here two years ago with my grandmother, and I have very fond memories of being here with her. But at the same time, we don't have the greatest room and the hotel services are not what they once were. But we are taking it all in stride... we have had great entertainment from our view of the parking lot outside of our window. The locals park there for beach access, so we see surfers pulling in early, and parties in the evening. The kids are learning how to drive, as we watched one youthful soul with a leadfoot and a desire for new tires spin out and land his truck on a roadside boulder.

I've been learning lots of new things about driving. Kevin insists that in Hawaii it's a law that you don't signal when you are preparing to turn right. He says, "When you go to a place, Sandy, you have to learn the local customs." Do the others drivers know that?

I've also been told that, as a passenger, I must not point in parking lots. "Why don't you just emasculate me right now?" So now I point for fun! (On a similar note, I did see Kevin jump out of the car to look at a map the other day. But to his credit my memory of it is fading fast. He did not, however, ask for directions.)

Wednesday was a day of bodily emissions. Within a 24-hour period, we had 7... events. I don't know what hit us. I'm running out of cash tipping the maids to change the bedding. With particular fondness we will remember our time in Hanalei where K vomited outside the restaurant, then we went inside to eat lunch. (I cleaned it up!) We modestly mentioned that K didn't have much of an appetite... carsickness. Later in the day as we toured a botanical garden Kev encouraged the kids to drink a lot of water because it was a long, warm hike. Can't get dehydrated, you know. With bathrooms in sight, poor K was running... her little legs pumping to get her to the toilet. She made it, except she was wearing a one-piece bathing suit under her clothes. I never thought I'd be cleaning the floor around a pit toilet. We were prepared with some extra underpants and C's spare shorts, but C was miffed because he had a dribble of an accident and had to stay in his bathing suit. "K, take off my shorts RIGHT NOW!"

We ended the day with an excellent dinner in Hanalei at a place called Bar Acuda. I can't believe they actually seated us, but Hanalei is casual, really casual. I want to move there. Apparently there are a lot of Santa Cruz transplants there too. We felt right at home.

Yesterday was peacefully uneventful... after I finished stripping the kid's bed. Last night I was on top of my game and woke C twice to go in the middle of the night and we awoke with a dry bed. Today and tomorrow we'll be doing more of the same... pool, beach, pool, bathroom.

No comments: