Friday, June 09, 2006

Happy 5th birthday!

Today was C and K's 5th birthday! My friend Terry asked me not too long ago what one word I would use to describe each of my children. K is vibrant. She is energetic, happy, precocious, friendly, and incredibly optimistic. She is also very loving and nuturing. C is bright. He exudes lightness, his hair, his skin and the light in his mischievous eyes. He also is happy and carefree, and very intelligent. He is bright!

This is C and K receiving their "Happy Birthday" phone call from their great-aunt and uncle.

C is pretty stoked to be getting some additional track for his playmobil train.

K showing off the new doorway puppet theatre from GG (Great-Grandma). This was a huge hit.

The whole week I have been preparing for the big birthday bash for the kids coming up this weekend. Everything has been coming together well and despite the cranky, spoiled behavior of the kids (which had been giving me second thoughts about doing anything for them) we have been looking forward to a fun time. Yesterday afternoon I happened to pull C's shirt up and was shocked to see little red dots practically blinking at me from all over his chest, and a real plethora in one armpit! Yikes! I looked at K too, and she only had a few very faint spots on her chest and tummy. What the heck? Poison oak? Bug bites? Some other nasty weed exposure? Chicken pox? The pediatrician couldn't say for sure, but indicated that it probably was the pox. That explained the crankiness! Lucky for them that they had the vaccine, because these are extremely mild cases compared to the pox I had when I was younger. I think the milder cases (due to the vaccine) make it harder to positively diagnose, as well. If this is chicken pox, they will be contagious for the next 5 days or so. Sigh.

Today I was on the phone cancelling all the arrangements, talking to their preschool teacher, contacting the guests. It was very disappointing.... but mostly to me. The kids didn't really seem that sad. They were very matter-of-fact about it. And I'm thankful for that. We had a quiet day at home. They helped me make carrot cake cupcakes for dessert. Then we made pizzas for dinner. When Kevin came home we ate pizza, sang Happy Birthday, enjoyed cupcakes and then got down to the most important event of the day. They opened their presents. It was the perfect birthday, and they were happy and content today.

I couldn't wish for more.

6 comments:

Maggie said...

I'm sorry they've got chicken pox, but it sounds like they went with the flow and had a great day anyway!

Happy birthday!

Deb said...

Sounds like a wonderful way to celebrate #5.

ipodmomma said...

how intersting the way things work out...

glad they had a good day though. K's face while on the phone is great, and C's with track too.. :)))

thinking of you all...

6blessings said...

Sorry the party had to be cancelled. Are you rescheduling it? I'm glad they didn't seem too upset about things. Glad they had a good day anyway!

Happy Birthday K and C!!

Jennefer said...

It sounds like that had a nice birthday. Sometimes simple is best.

That puppet theater looks great. I would love to have one of those. I have seen them in catalogs and thought they looked fun for young kids.

I hope your kids get better soon!

Suz said...

Hate to hear they've got the chicken pox :o(

Isn't it great, though, how those laid back simple family times tend to become some of the sweetest memories rather than the grand hoopla we think we need? And isn't it wonderful how kids just (often) "go with the flow?"