Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Birthdays Past - June 3rd

June 3rd was my grandmother's birthday. She would have been 90 this year. The past two years we celebrated her birthday by taking her out for a nice dinner with some of her (and my) close friends. This year in honor of my grandmother we gathered again to have dinner at the Shadowbrook, a lovely restaurant in Capitola. I brought some photo albums to share with the girls which contained some amazing pictures of my grandmother throughout her life. When things slow down a little around here I will get my scanner working again and post some of the better ones. Amazing!

In 2006 we gathered to celebrate her birthday at the a fondue restaurant in Saratoga. My grandmother was always so much fun to socialize with. She was always smiling and laughing. She loved jokes (and off-color ones too). I think she enjoyed shocking me sometimes. At dinner the other night my friends and family were telling me things she told them I had no idea of. Yikes! What else do they know about me?

2005 was a big birthday year. I hired a limo and we traveled up to San Francisco for a dinner show (I suppose you could call it that) at Asia SF.

The limo ride was a total hit with my grandmother. We had the best time!

This is a shot of my grandmother with our server. Asia SF was a big lure for my grandmother because most (or all) of the staff have had the change. The food is fantastic Asian cuisine and the entertainment is that the servers dance and lip-sync upon the bar. It's quite entertaining! My grandmother LOVED it! My sister-in-law summed it up by saying her cheeks were sore because we were all smiling so much that night!

Our night at the Shadowbrook was not quite as exuberant, however, we enjoyed toasting Elaine and laughing about the times we had had together. June 3rd will be celebrated again and again. Grandma, you know we love you!

4 comments:

6blessings said...

That is neat that you got back together to celebrate. The pics are wonderful!

Deb said...

What a wonderful way to honor her birthday this year.
The times you described and the pictures sound like she was a very fun lady.

ipodmomma said...

really lovely... thanks for sharing... :)))

Maggie said...

OK, how cool was your grandma? My grandmother was appalled that I would go to my 8th grade dance without wearing a skirt. I can't imagine her enjoying a restaurant like Asia SF. (And, by the way, your server looks a lot like Eva Longoria.)

Your grandmother IS a very loved woman.