Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Squeegie Milestone

I saw a huge milestone reached tonight.

Earlier when I was using the squeegie to clean the glass in the shower, M wanted the squeegie and she tried to clean the glass too. This may not seem like a lot for a toddler to do, but it's the first time M has ever taken a tool and copied its use from watching me and letting me show her what to do. It's huge! I think she's starting to get it.

We all went to Raging Waters today in San Jose. It was a loud, wet and sunny place where you spend a lot of time waiting in line to go on each waterslide. (I could go on and on about how poorly managed the place is.) Surprisingly, there were so many little play pools that is was a lot more fun for M. She had a great day outside in the sun today and tonight I have never seen her before in such a playful affectionate mood, even though she was laying on the floor, exhausted. (It makes me think we need more sun on our property. Oh, and a pool. With a waterslide. That would be nice.)

In her sessions this week she has been repeating some sounds during sound pairings. A month ago she wasn't repeating any sounds. This week she has also been working on pointing, and she is reaching for things now. She just doesn't have the proper closed fingers, index finger out hand position. I have also noticed that she is looking for her sippy cup and reaching for it when it's on the kitchen counter. She has never searched for it before this week. Instead she would just have a roll-on-the-floor tantrum when she was thirsty. The other thing she did today was a small, simple match bowl with bowl.

Tonight was special because I think M realized even more that we are her family. She seemed so at ease with us and was very happy to be with us. It felt really good.
.

4 comments:

Veronica said...

What a wonderful post! Makes my day!

Anna Scott Graham said...

oh this is so fantastic!!!

Bob told me as soon as I woke. that was not that long ago... :)))

so much love to you all!!!

Anonymous said...

Hope covers a multitude of worries! So happy for the family.
terry

Rachael said...

So great to hear of progress and that all of your efforts are paying off!