Friday, April 14, 2006

Jitters

The other night I was talking to a close friend about our adoption progress and she touched on some things that I had read about, but that for some reason, touched the right nerve this time and scared the beejeebers out of me. In order to complete the Home Study we had to do quite an amount of reading about all the possible problems that a child might have after being in an institutional setting the first few years of his or her life. At the time it was rather depressing, but still informative. I managed to plow through it and retain my optimism because I had spoken with some folks that were references for the placement agency we were going to use, and they were incredibly helpful and positive, with wonderful stories to tell. But the other night I started feeling really insecure.... can I handle a child that may have trauma issues from being in an orphanage the first year of his/her life? How will this affect my two children now? What the heck am I doing??? Will I survive this? Should we continue, or stop now? Has anyone else experienced these feelings?

Deep breath, because I am freaked out. And yet, I was talking to my dear sister-in-law tonight about this and she said that she felt exactly the same way when she was pregnant with her second child. It must be normal, these worries, then. I only pray that God will not give me more than I can handle. (And that He will not make it too incredibly tough, either.) I have been able to avoid thinking about this stuff because I've been mired in the paperwork. Paperwork is tedious, but it's far more predictable and manageable than a screaming baby!

Yesterday I spoke with the folks at the placement agency and found out that I can turn in my dossier paperwork without the 171-H form and they will send it to Russia. I can send in the 171-H form when we receive it. That's good news! It means our dossier will get processed faster and our referral may come sooner as well. And the pressure's on again to get it all done. Here's what we have left from our list of 37 items:

Photos of family and home
Police 'Good Conduct' letters (3)
Assets letter
Home study revision
Verification of residence revision
Visa photos for myself
Commitment to register form
Visa applications
Russian registration form (big check)
Notarization of all documents
Trip to Sacramento for apostilling all documents

I wonder if I can get it all done by the end of the month. I want to take the kids to the train museum in Sacramento when we go for the apostilling. Maybe the first week of May?

4 comments:

ipodmomma said...

lots to keep in mind. but I can tell you that God will most certainly equip you and Kev for all that awaits you, and that yeah, there will be some rough times, but our own kids give us those too...

the love you all are opening your hearts to, the love you are so willing to share is a love that will overcome any difficulty.... :)))

my prayers are with you... :)))

much love too, and a very Happy Easter!

Elle said...

It is only natural to have those fears. It happens to all of us. Focus on the positive and the knowledge that, "God won't give me more than I can handle, I just wish He didn't trust me so much." (Mother Teresa)

Deb said...

Sandy, Just found your site today and it sounds like you are so organized. I'm going to go get a 3-ring binder and stuff tonight and reorganize myself.

Maggie said...

I had to attend several training sessions before Peanut arrived last summer. Among other things they discussed RAD, PTSD, SDD and other issues. I was getting pretty freaked out. But then I met some of the kids that had been adopted from previous summer hosting experiences. Kids who spent up to 11 years in orphanages. And, yes, some of them issues that can be difficult to deal with, but they're just kids. That's what you have to keep in mind. Educate yourself about the issues, but remember that it's just a child.

You'll be able to handle it.